By Jacob Solis

Senator appointed for the College of Engineering

In an 11-6 vote, sophomore Owen Stewart was appointed to the Associated Students of the University of Nevada senate to represent the College of Engineering. Stewart took the place of former senator Jakob Christensen who resigned on Jun. 5 due to low grades.

As senator, Stewart plans to establish a biomedical engineering undergraduate degree. He also wants to improve student attendance for events sponsored by the College of Engineering such as Senior Capstone Innovation Day and Engineering Day through greater outreach and promotion.

“I want to make certain that students within the college have a little bit more outreach within the university and our surrounding community because, after all, we’re members of the community,” Stewart said.

Stewart is a chemical engineering and math double major and is a member of several student organizations such as Mathematics Club, Dragon Club, Tau Kappa Epsilon and the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.

Senator Jeffery Dominguez censured

College of Science senator Jeffrey Dominguez was officially censured by resolution. This was the second recommended censure for the 82nd session. Former Interdisciplinary College senator Ronald Petrillo resigned his position two weeks earlier before it was discussed by the senate.

Dominguez’s censure came as a result of his unexcused absences from office hours and committee and senate meetings. The resolution recommended that Dominguez draft an apology or public statement to be published in The Nevada Sagebrush within the next two weeks. The resolutions states that four more censure points will make the senator eligible for expulsion from the senate..

New special committee established

The senate passed a resolution that will create the Special Committee on the Mountain West Leadership Summit. The purpose of the summit will be to help create a unified student voice within all 11 schools in the Mountain West Conference.

Raina Benford, senator for the Division of Health Science, said the conference could help build a stronger community.

The ASUN committee will meet for the remainder of this session to create and plan the summit. It will convene in Reno during either the coming summer or fall, depending on the pace at which the new committee can complete its work.

The resolution is available for public viewing under the “archived meetings” tab on the Nevada ASUN website, through the “supporting documents” for the Sept. 24 meeting.

Jacob Solis can be reached at rhernandez@sagebrush.unr.edu.