International

Syria suicide bombings kill 48, injure dozens

A series of coordinated suicide bombings occurred across Syria on Monday, Sept. 5, killing 48 people and injuring 152. Responsibility for the bombings has been claimed by the Islamic State.

The goal was to target government-held areas as well as government officials and their families. Car and suicide bombs were detonated simultaneously at rush hour in five different cities.

The bombings occurred in the cities of Tartus, Homs, Damascus, Hasakeh and Qamishli, all areas that are heavily controlled by the government.

The first car bombing took place at a military checkpoint in Damascus, the capital of Syria, where officers and their families live.

Another car bomb was detonated on a bridge leading into the coastal town of Tartus. While observers gathered around the scene, a suicide bomber detonated his bomb, killing 35.

These bombings come after Turkish troops and Syrian rebels regained IS territory this week, cutting them off from the northern border of Syria, a key supply access point.

National

Rapinoe kneels during national anthem before soccer game

Megan Rapinoe, a player for the United States Women’s National Soccer Team, kneeled during the national anthem before a game with the Seattle Reign on Sunday.

She said it was a “little nod” to Colin Kaepernick, who sat during a preseason NFL game last week, and kneeled again this week.

Her actions were “very intentional” and she thinks it was “disgusting” how Kaepernick was treated after sitting.

Both stars kneeled in protest of the inequality they see in America today.

Rapinoe said that, being a gay American, she sees what it is like to not be treated equally. She is one of the five members suing for pay equality on the USWNST.

“It’s important to have white people stand in support of people of color on this. We don’t need to be the leading voice, of course, but standing in support of them is something that’s really powerful,” Rapinoe said.

Local

Search for teenager delays end to Burning Man

The exit gates of Burning Man were temporarily closed on Sunday Sept. 4, due to a search for a missing 17-year-old girl.

She was eventually found safe in Black Rock City, where Burning Man is being held.

It took burners nine hours to exit the event after the search was called off, causing disruption of travel plans. By Monday morning the wait time to leave had decreased to four hours.

Drivers were caught sleeping behind the wheel while waiting to leave, holding up traffic even further.

Black Rock City reached a population of 70,000 during the event.