ASUN campaign signs in front of the Knowledge Center.
Mason Solberg/Nevada Sagebrush
Campaign signs in front of the Knowledge Center as it stands on Feb. 7. ASUN election campaigning opened on Feb. 5.

Campaigning for the Associated Students of the University of Nevada has begun as of Wednesday, Feb. 5.

The first senator debate, which will feature candidates from the College of Science and the College of Engineering, will occur on Feb. 18. The second debate will feature candidates from the College of Liberal Arts and will occur on Feb. 20. The third debate, featuring candidates from the Colleges of Business and Education, will occur on Feb. 24. Candidates from the College of CABNR and the School of Journalism will debate on Feb. 25. The primary election debate, featuring the candidates for president and vice president, will occur on March 2. 

All of the debates will occur in the Joe Crowley Student Union Theater at 7:30 p.m.

Primary elections will occur on Mar. 4 and 5. General elections will follow on Mar. 11 and 12. Students can vote in the Center for Student Engagement or on WebCT. 

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES

Dominique Hall, Patricia de la Hoya-Velez and Andrew McKinney are running for the office of ASUN president. 

Patricia De La Hoya-Velez

Patricia de la Hoya-Velez is studying political science, women’s studies, and philosophy at the university. She holds leadership positions in Young Feminists, the Latino Student Advisory Board, Nevada Voice for Animals and Students for Bernie Sanders. 

“I am running for ASUN President in the 2020 election because we have continued to fail to support the most marginalized students at the University of Nevada Reno. We continue to have fruitless conversations about the issues yet action is never taken,” said De La Hoya-Velez in an email to the Nevada Sagebrush. “As a student activist and the only outside candidate, I am the best candidate to implement intersectional policies to protect and support ALL students.This is not about me, this is about us, the university community.”

De La Hoya-Velez plans to increase funding for Pack Provisions and the university’s resources for sexual assault victims, reduce the university’s impact on the environment by divesting in fossil fuels, and require training for employees of the university so they can better support students of maringalized identies. 

Dominique “Dom” Hall

Dom Hall is a third-year student studying journalism at the university. She currently serves as a senator for the Reynold’s School of Journalism in the 87th session and was previously a legislative intern. 

As a senator, Hall helped create an appeal to the ASUN Elections campaign deposit, create an exit-counseling program for graduating students and provide student media internships.

Hall plans to increase funding for the Department of Diversity and Inclusion, create an emergency housing program, explore the creation of a resource guide for students and work with university administration to advocate for sensitivity training amongst faculty and administration.

“Through my term as a Senator, I have created programs setting the university apart from other universities in the nation, as well as making the ASUN [e]lections more equitable,” Dom Hall said in an email to the Nevada Sagebrush. “As an aware student, I understand the boundaries students face on this campus. This is why I’ve launched the Breaking Boundaries 2020 campaign in hopes of advocating for student success.”

Hall said there are four tiers of goals that align with the ‘Breaking Boundaries 2020.’ The tiers include campus safety, diversity and a sense of Belonging, financial insecurity and well-rounded learning opportunities.

Andrew McKinney

Andrew McKinney is a third-year student studying criminal justice and political science. He currently serves as a Club Commissioner for the Department of Clubs and Organizations. He previously served as a senator for the College of Liberal Arts in the 86th session and the chair for the Committee on Government Operations. He has also held leadership positions in the Kappa Sigma fraternity.

During his time serving in ASUN, McKinney helped remove gender pronouns from ASUN documents, created initiatives to help students find homes on campus and had a part in distributing funding to organizations on campus. 

McKinney is running in conjunction with vice presidential candidate Claudia Feil. 

“Following our slogan, A Voice for Students, the McKinney Feil campaign wants students voices to be heard and advocacy for those voices. It is our goal to put students at the forefront of every decision made through ASUN and University Administration. We want to ensure students have a seat at the table and are being heard,” said Feil in a statement to the Nevada Sagebrush. 

Their campaign platform is four-fold: safety and inclusion, health and wellness, sustainability, and student voice and advocacy. Their platform includes plans to take action against incidents of hate speech, creating initiatives that will increase sustainability on campus and increasing transparency by sharing simplified budgets.   

VICE PRESIDENT

Claudia Feil is a third year student studying community health science and business administration at the university. She currently serves as the director of Campus Wellness. She previously served as an executive intern her freshman year and then as a senator for the Division of Health Sciences. She chaired the Committee on Civic Engagement during the 86th session. Additionally, she has served in leadership roles in the Tri Delta sorority. 

She is running in conjunction with ASUN presidential candidate Andrew McKinney. Their campaign’s slogan is “A Voice for Students” and their platform includes areas such as safety and inclusion, health and wellness, sustainability, and student voice and advocacy.

Austin Brown

Austin Brown is a second-year student studying psychology and political science in the Honors Program at UNR. Brown previously served as Chief of Staff for the 87th session of ASUN and was a judicial intern.

Brown also works at the Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents Office as a student employee. 

His goal as vice president is to emphasize a community-based academic experience and make success more accessible.

“My experience in ASUN includes Chief of Staff and previously an ASUN Intern,” Brown said in an email to the Nevada Sagebrush. “This has given me the knowledge and insight that would allow me to make the changes that you want to see at our University of Nevada.”

Brown said his platform includes affordability in regards to affordability of housing, tuition and supplies, adaptability by making sure students have a well-rounded college experience and are ready to make a positive impact on the Reno community and accessibility by supporting those from all different backgrounds in order to help us all succeed together as one pack.

COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE, BIOTECHNOLOGY AND NATURAL RESOURCES

Matthew Nugent and Cecilia Romero are running for CABNR senators. There are two senate seats available for the CABNR.

Matthew Nugent

Matthew Nugent is a first year student studying biochemistry and molecular biology. He currently serves as an ASUN legislative intern for the 87th session.

He is a captain of a team with FIRST Robotics, an organization he has been involved in for eight years.

Nugent wants to create a CABNR tutoring center, increase awareness about resources available to students and improve sustainability on campus. 

Cecilia Romero

Cecilia Romero is double majoring in biochemistry and molecular biology and Spanish literature and culture. She currently serves as one of the CABNR senators for ASUN’s 87th session.

She associates herself with Phi Delta Epsilon Pre-Medical Fraternity, Blue Key Honor Society and Peer Health Educators.

Romero wants to create more opportunities for CABNR students both on-campus and in the Reno-Sparks community, expand resources at the Student Health Center and Peer Health Educators and help make resources aware to CABNR students.

COLLEGE OF BUSINESS

Jacob Bourgault, Corey Huber and Keegan Murphy are running for College of Business senators. There are four senate seats available for the College of Business.

Corey Huber

Corey Huber is a second-year student majoring in accounting. He currently serves as a senator for the College of Business after being appointed to the position during the 87th session. 

Huber plans on creating a 24 hour study building, increasing undergraduate business research opportunities, increasing recycling on campus, increasing student awareness of ASUN resources, and helping to promote internship opportunities. 

Keegan Murphy

Keegan Murphy is a second-year student majoring in business management and economics and minoring in human resources. He currently serves as a senator for the College of Business for ASUN’s 87th session and Speaker Pro-Tempore of the senate.

Murphy associates himself with the Business Student Council and the Nevada Blue Key Honor Society.

Murphy plans to work with the College of Business to help students utilize its clubs and organizations, work with the College of Business to bring a Sports Management minor, continue to work with the university and the City of Reno to increase lighting safety near campus and increase communication between the students and the ASUN senate.

Jacob Bourgault

Jacob Bourgault is a third-year student double majoring in economics and international relations. 

Bourgault is an employee of the Northern Nevada International Center. He associates himself with UNR’s rugby team, the Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity and the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity. 

Bourgault plans to facilitate an increase in student input, help increase retention rates for first generation and minority students, help manage funding for campus organizations and better the relationship between Greek life and the university.

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Sarah Kellar is running for a College of Education senator. There are two senate seats available for the College of Education.

Sarah Kellar

Sarah Kellar is a first-year student and enrolled with PackTeach English. In high school, she was the vice-president of her school’s Speech and Debate club. 

Kellar plans to increase awareness of educational services, promote the adoption of more internships and job opportunities, install more recycling programs in the Joe Crowley Student Union and gather more support for ASUN.

College of Engineering

Joshua Luers, Edwin Casildo Rios and Steffany Yang are running for College of Engineering senators. There are three senate seats available for the College of Engineering.

Steffany Yang

Steffany Yang is a second-year studying chemical engineering and minoring in renewable energy and mechanical engineering within the Honors Program. She currently serves as a senator for the College of Engineering. 

Yang affiliates herself with Honors Bonner Leaders Program, TRiO Scholars Program, Blue Key Honor Society, Professional Network of Women and CREATE Scholars and Honors Program. She also interns at IoTerra.

Yang plans to increase resources within the College of Engineering, continue building relationships with engineering faculty and administration, serve as a liaison n between students and the local community and collaborate with the Director of Sustainability to increase sustainable initiatives.

Joshua Luers 

Joshua Luers is a first-year student majoring in civil engineering and minoring in renewable energy. Luers currently serves as a College of Engineering senator for ASUN’s 87th session.

Luers is a part of the Differential Fees committee for the department of civil and environmental engineering for the 2020 fiscal year.

Luers plans to improve safety and accessibility on campus, plant more trees around north campus, improve diversity in the College of Engineering, create awareness for ASUN operations and improve the Statutes of the Associates’ Students. 

Edwin Casildo Rios

Edwin Casildo Rios is a first-year student majoring in civil engineering. He has served as an ASUN executive intern. 

Rios associates himself with the Student Advisory Council, National Honors Society, First in the Pack and the Upward Bound program. 

Rios plans to increase research opportunities for students in the College of Engineering, helping create a more inclusive campus, increasing the retention rate of female STEM students and creating channels of outreach between College of Engineering students and the community. 

COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS

Conner Doyle, Kenneth Heinlein, Victoria Supple, Zane Taylor and Kate Torres are running for College of Liberal Arts senators. There are five senate seats available for the College of Liberal Arts.

Zane Taylor

Zane Taylor is a first-year student studying international affairs. He has served as an intern for ASUN’s Judicial Council. 

Taylor is an employee at Raley’s and a member of the Phi Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity. 

Taylor plans on increasing networking opportunities for students in the College of Liberal Arts, increasing sustainability on campus and allocating more resources to the Counseling Center.

Kenneth Heinlein

Kenneth Heinlein is a third-year student studying political science and international affairs. 

He associates himself with the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. 

Heinlein plans to increase internship and post-graduate opportunities for students, create programs to increase political knowledge and work with UNRPD to guarantee campus safety. 

Conner Doyle

Conner Doyle is a second-year double majoring in political science and criminal justice and minoring in English. Doyle currently serves as a College of Liberal Arts senator for ASUN’s 87th session and serves as the civic engagement chair. 

As a senator, Doyle dealt with issues regarding the Counseling Center, street lighting near student housing facilities and hair discrimination.

Doyle plans to expand promotional material for the Liberal Arts, expand the resources in the Student Health Center, Pack Provisions and Counseling Services, create programs to better communicate with the students, work with administrative staff and increase democratic civic engagement and voter turnout.

Lauren Harvey

Lauren Harvey is a student at the university triple majoring in Gender, Race and Identity, Spanish Literature and International Affairs. She is currently a senator for the College of Liberal Arts in the 87th session and serves as the chair for the Committee on Academics. 

Harvey works for the Gender, Race and Identity program and is a member of the McNairs Scholars Program.

Harvey plans on engaging in conversations with fellow students and administration regarding issues on campus, rewriting ASUN governing documents, promoting leadership opportunities and creating a Canvas module that would aim to inform incoming students about different identities, discrimination and ways to be part of an inclusive culture. 

Kate Torres

Kate Torres is a triple major studying international affairs, political science and philosophy. She previously served as a legislative intern for ASUN. 

Torres associates herself with student ambassador organization and the academic pre-law fraternity.

Torres plans to increase transparency between ASUN senators and their constituents, advocate for a Liberal Art space on campus and expand the Liberal Arts’ internship program.

Victoria Supple

Victoria Supple is a second-year double majoring in political science and international affairs. She currently serves as a College of Liberal Arts senator for ASUN’s 87th session. Supple also served as a judicial intern.

As a senator, Supple created legislation which outlined the priorities of the 87th session, changed various chapters and sections of ASUN’s governing documents and supported the Victims of Crime Treatment Center. 

Supple plans to create a sexual assault support group on campus, keep senators and other members of the ASUN accountable, continue to edit the governing documents of the association and write resolutions on legislation written in the Nevada Legislative Session.

COLLEGE OF SCIENCE

Abrahim Ahmed, John Kermanshahi, Emily McElhoes, Kavin Sivakumar and Edward Stoddard are running for College of Science senators. There are four senate seats available for the College of Liberal Arts

John Kermanshahi

John Kermanshahi is studying biology. 

Kermanshahi plans to increase internships and community related opportunities for students in the College of Science and decrease the cost of education. 

Emily McElhoes

Emily McElhoes is a biology major. She previously served as an intern for ASUN.

McElhoes plans to promote campus safety, have the inclusion of all students at every school-sanctioned event, increase the representation of the College of Science within senate, be a voice for students and create a stronger relationship with faculty and students

Edward Stoddard

Edward Stoddard is a fourth-year student majoring in neuroscience and minoring in philosophy and military science. 

Stoddard is a cadet with the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps at the university and associates himself with the Nevada Student Ambassadors. 

Stoddard plans to improve the relationships between student organizations and ASUN, increase internship opportunities and help to create a juice bar on campus. 

Abrahim Ahmed

Abrahim Ahmed is a fourth-year student studying neuroscience. Ahmed is currently an Interdisciplinary senator.

Ahmed also associates himself with Phi Delta Epsilon.

Ahmed plans to expand outreach within the College of Science, work to increase Student Outreach Clinic and Student Health Center hours and help unify the College of Science.

Kavin Sivakumar

Kavin Sivakumar is majoring in biology. He currently serves as a senator for the College of Science in the 87th session.

Sivakumar is a resident assistant on campus and hosts a radio show on Wolfpack Radio.

Sivakumar plans to work with Pack Provisions, The Center and the Department of Diversity and Inclusion, increase collaboration with the residence halls, increase student involvement in the College of Science and reform the ASUN election process. 

COMMUNITY HEALTH SCIENCES / ORVIS SCHOOL OF NURSING

There is one seat available for Community Health Sciences. There is no one currently running for the seat.

REYNOLDS SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM

Vanessa Riberio is running for the Reynold School of Journalism senator. There is one senate seat available for the Reynold School of Journalism.

Vanessa Riberio

Vanessa Riberio is a first-year double majoring in journalism and political science.

Riberio plans to target the number of students who feel financial and food insecure, work towards sustainability on campus, work towards safety and acceptance on campus and make ASUN more civically-engaged.

DIVISION OF HEALTH SCIENCES

There is one seat available for the Division of Health Science. There is no one currently running for the seat.

Taylor Avery can be reached at oali@sagebrush.unr.edu or on Twitter @travery98. Taylor Johnson can be reached at tkjohnson@nevada.unr.edu or on Twitter @taylorkendyll.